Julie is a native of Alaska, but has made her home in Portland with her husband and children since 1984.
Practice Areas: Trial work in business and real estate disputes, banking litigation, and insurance coverage disputes.
- Won a multi-million dollar jury verdict in favor of a shareholder client who brought a derivative shareholder lawsuit against another shareholder for breach of fiduciary duties and conversion.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a New York based clothing manufacturing client in a breach of contract case involving trademark disputes.
- Won a defense verdict for a national bank after a jury trial on claims brought under the UCC for negligence.
- Won a multi-million dollar jury verdict on behalf of a closely held company in a derivative shareholders lawsuit in state court, prevailing on claims of breach of fiduciary duty and conversion.
- Won a defense verdict for a regional business client after a jury trial in federal court in a multimillion dollar action alleging misappropriation of business opportunity.
- Obtained a jury defense verdict in federal court in favor of a national bank in a case involving claims brought under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act and Oregon Unfair Debt Collection Practices Act, in which economic, emotional distress and punitive damages were sought.
- Won a jury verdict in state court in favor of a national company on its claim against a competing business for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Represented a large credit union in a multimillion dollar complex commercial case involving liquidated damages under a contract termination clause. The case was settled on terms favorable to the client prior to trial in federal court in Washington.
- Obtained an arbitration award in favor or a California LLC in arbitration of a dispute with a Washington real estate developer over a multimillion dollar sale of a shopping center for damages resulting from the developer’s breach of the land sale agreement.
- In a complex commercial case, obtained summary judgment in favor of regional business client against its insurers for failure to defend and indemnify.
- Represented 17 homeowners to recover real property damages resulting from a landslide caused by improper excavation and other construction errors. After four weeks of trial the homeowners settled on highly favorable terms.
- Represented five homeowners to recover real property damages resulting from soil subsidence caused by improper excavation and other construction errors. The client settled on highly favorable terms shortly before trial.
- Represented five homeowners whose homes were destroyed or damaged when an antique jet flying in an airshow crashed into their properties. In response to our motion for summary judgment, the court ruled that the airshow operator was strictly liable for the crash and vicariously liable for any negligence of the pilot. The court also rejected defendant’s defense that the claims are preempted by federal law. Two weeks later, the case settled on favorable terms for the homeowners.
Professional Memberships: Multnomah Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1999-2002; Professionalism Committee, 1995-1998 (Chair 1998)); Oregon Trial Lawyers Association; Washington State Bar Association; Oregon State Bar (Uniform Civil Jury Instruction Committee (2010-present); Business Litigation Executive Committee (1998-2005, Secretary, 2002, Treasurer, 2003, President-Elect, 2004 and President, 2005); Disciplinary Board, Region Five (1993-2000, Chair 2000), Board of Bar Examiners (1992-1995, Chair 1995; Special Investigator on Character and Fitness, 2012)); National Conference of Bar Examiners (MPT Policy Committee, 1995-1997); American Bar Association.
Admitted to Practice: 1984 Oregon; 1986 U.S. District Court, District of Oregon; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; 2003 Washington; 2005 U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington.
Education: Willamette University, J.D., cum laude, 1984; University of Santa Clara, B.S., cum laude, 1981.
CLE's Taught: Co-Presenter, "The Anatomy of a Derivative Action," Multnomah Bar Association CLE (Oct. 2012).
Awards: Super Lawyer Ranking (2007-present); Best Lawyer Tier 1 Ranking, Banking and Finance Litigation (2011-present); Best Lawyer Tier 1 Ranking, Real Estate Litigation (2011-present); Best Lawyer Tier 1 Ranking, Commercial Litigation (2011-present); Best Law Firm Tier 1 Ranking, Banking and Finance Litigation (2013-present).